Everyone knows that feeling they get when Autumn starts to settle in. There is certain draw to hearty roasted food, afternoons of reading with a cup of tea, and all things “Pumpkin Spice”. To kick off the first couple of frosty training weeks, I made a Spicy Hemp Granola. Its full of goodies to keep you fuelled through a morning in the mountains and, best of all, its quick to whip up and has no refined sugar!
Spicy Hemp Granola
1 cup Buckwheat
3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
1/2 cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup raisins or chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
water- enough to cover dates in a small pot
1/3 cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Oil
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
Couple dashes of nutmeg, cloves and allspice
1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 300 F
- Mix all dry ingredients (except dates, spices, and salt) in a large bowl and set aside
- In a small pot, simmer chopped dates and just enough water to cover them until dates are soft enough to mash. This will be about 7-10 min.
- When dates are soft, mash up until relatively smooth and add all spices, salt and hemp oil. If mixture is too thick, add a touch more water or hemp oil.
- Mix up all the wet ingredients and pour over the dry.
- Spread granola out fairly thin on a lined baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 30 min.